Thursday, December 22, 2011

So...apparently I cannot get Blogger to fully function on Chrome, but it works on Mozilla? I need to rethink my new found dedication to Chrome, methinks.

In other news, today is my third day in Michigan. My parents flew in to NC last Thursday for my graduation ceremony, which was held on Friday (pictures forthcoming). Everything went really well, until Saturday when I started to come down with a cold.  I was sick as a dog on Sunday, basically lying in bed all day while my mom continued to pack around me (which didn't make me feel any better). I hate not having any privacy when I feel and look like shit; privacy in my apartment was completely impossible due to the fact that most of the packing boxes were in my bedroom, and with my apartment's layout you have to walk through my bedroom to get to the only bathroom (my parents were staying with me). So I laid there, totally awake and feeling awful, until I got stir-crazy and decided to go out for one last frozen yogurt run with my awesome friend Kim. Monday, my parent and I sat around waiting to hear from the moving company...who failed to call or even SHOW UP, despite the fact that my mom had arranged for them to move us on Monday (the date was printed on the contract she had). On top of it all, my mom couldn't even reach anyone at any of the three numbers or so that she had; this company apparently isn't even OPEN on Mondays! At about noon, we resigned ourselves to the fact that we would probably have to explore our other options. We ended up renting a small U-Haul truck, asked a few friends over to help move my stuff into it, and got out on the road at about 2:45. The moving company did end up calling my mom back, nonchalantly asking when we wanted them to arrive THE NEXT DAY, to which my mom told them we had already left (and also gave them a piece of her mind). The drive back was long, but not too difficult. It was surprisingly mild in Michigan, with temperatures in the mid 40s (today we're back in the 30s, but it's sunny outside).

Since returning I have done...very little. Job applications are moving at a crawl, unpacking is being done in spurts, and as yet I have not seen any of my MI friends (I will be seeing a few of them shortly, however). I have a hard time believing that Christmas is almost here. There is no snow on the ground, and there probably will be very little come Christmas day. In good news, I'm SLEEPING!! No Ambien for the last three nights, and I've had wonderful sleep. I don't miss my apartment as I thought I might (although it's still early to tell). I do miss my Gville friends, and my close proximity to everything, though. I hope to see them all in March, hopefully, as our panel got accepted into the Society for Applied Anthropology's conference in Baltimore! Yay! I'm trying to hope that I might have a job by then, but I'm trying to not stress too much about that yet.

That's about it for now. Happy holidays, everyone! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Have you tried completely un-installing and re-installing Chrome? (Not that there's any harm in totally abandoning it for Mozilla, if you like Mozilla and it was working fine for you.) It's just weird to me that you've had so many issues w/Chrome, it's worked like a dream for me! :-/

    I still can't believe the moving company screwed you guys over like that. Hopefully you hadn't paid them any money yet.

    Did you get the email with the SfAA schedule in it? We're in the "Poe Room!"