Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Brief Life Update

Just wanted to give those few of you still reading a brief update so you know I'm not dead. First, good news: I think my thesis defense date has been set! As of now it will be sometime on October 26th. I keep getting asked how it feels to almost be done, and I honestly have no idea. I don't think it will feel done until it is DONE--submitted to the graduate school and everything. At that point, I'll probably be too worried about getting a job that the accomplishment will go barely noticed in my mind. I've been getting a lot of questions on that score as well, and the answer is I have no idea what I want to do (serious employment-wise) and am still fumbling with the question of where to apply and where I want to live. I've looked around a little, and haven't seen much that sounded interesting or that I was qualified for. There's still hope though...

In other news, signed up for NaNoWriMo, which starts next month. It may be crazy, but I figured since I'll only be working on thesis edits and job applications at that point (only HAHA) I'll need something fun on the side to de-stress (or make myself more stressed, we'll see). At least if NaNo gets too hairy I can always drop it (not that I want to!). Finally came up with some tangible writing ideas...not that they're very good/feasible. At least it will be a good time of commiseration and whining with other wannabe-novelists. I'm actually attempting a little bit of outlining/research for this one, unlike past years where I dove in headfirst with only the vaguest clue of what I was doing. I've managed to "win" twice in the past (i.e. wrote at least 50,000 words) with this strategy, but was left with "novels"  I never looked back on because there wasn't any passion left for them, and they were so crappy that it wouldn't have mattered if there was anyway. We'll see how well this plan goes; I've tended to strongly deviate from outlines in the past.

Ok, that's about all for now. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment